“Life does not play tricks on you. Your mind does.”
Only when we know better, do we do better. Does emotional freedom exist? Do you believe that your mind is separate from who you really are? Or do you believe that you are your mind? These are pivotal life changing questions to be asking yourself. If life follows you and your words (and even your thoughts), then perhaps being in the driver’s seat matters.
Where do we begin? Someday’s sitting with your thoughts and your mind becomes toxic in and of itself. We rely on our mind. We believe our thoughts and we often get carried away far too much on a daily basis. How is it then that we unhook our thoughts? Here are a 10 techniques that will help.
1) Investigate…take a look at your thought. Is it true? Is it really really true? How do you know it’s true? Where in your life can you say it’s true and not true. Look, really look to see how it’s not true. Even if it’s one example, because if there’s one, there will be more to follow.
2) Look at the belief. Ask yourself, “Who told me this about myself?” Was it a parent, a teacher, a sibling, society, or yourself? When you see who put that belief in you perhaps it isn’t yours. Let it go.
3) Pema Chodron once said, “Don’t believe everything you think.” Give it a go and see what happens next.
4) Life is our friend. Choose to see it that way. Make the intention that the universe if for you, not against you. And when that happens, you can say yes more. Words/thoughts are powerful and if you choose the negative ones, you get to witness them all day long. What is the positive intention in your suffering? What is the positive intention in your negative thoughts. Ask them and they will answer you.
5) Love what arises. Make friends with all your thoughts. Embrace them with 100% enthusiasm, no matter how sarcastic or sadistic they are. Commit 100% for rejoicing in who that voice is and see what happens next. When you offer love, the outcome has only one way to go.
6) Our external world appears in form. Forms appear as objects that we own or don’t own. We can take them or leave them, but we identify with them outside of ourselves as something that we acquire. Our thoughts are forms as well, but we don’t realize it. We can choose to own them or not. We can choose to leave them behind or not. When we see that our emotional life is no different from the physical life, freedom awaits. Learn to surrender your thoughts. Ego creates your suffering but your spiritual self knows really who you are. Listen to that voice instead.
7) Learn techniques to assist in reprogramming your mind.
Meditation for some, is really helpful in this. There are a variety of different ways of learning. Just start.
EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is a tapping of meridian points that liberates our well-being in profound ways and works really well.
EMDR is another kind of re patterning of the brain (neural pathways). If you have built-in wiring from childhood traumas, this is a technique that will create a new matrix of thought forms and give emotional freedom.
8) Drop into prayer. Simple prayers are very affective. Here are a few to try out.
Help me loving universe. Help me to surrender my thoughts that I feel out of control with.
Please heal my perspective of ______. Thank you.
Please uplift my spirit and bring joyful expression in my words and thoughts today.
Help me release my sadness or grief or fears today so I may live in divine love and divine grace.
How may I be of service today. Help me help others.