“Balance, my darling, is not letting anybody love you less than you love yourself.”
This is the time of year where we find ourselves believing we are “supposed to do” for our family, for our friends, for our kids, for our tradition.
What happens when you burn out? Then what? Are you overeating sugar? Are you numbing out on the computer or TV? Or are you just craving something that you can’t put your finger on.
Balance is so important, but for some it becomes another “To Do” on your list of plenty.
So how do you fight the overdoing? How do you stop and think? How do you say, “My needs matter? And actually follow through with self-care?”
5 Simple things to knock the cravings down and find joy in your holiday tote.
1) Listen to music that relaxes you. Subconsciously your body slows down and takes its cues from the environment.
2) Get enough sleep. Easier said than done. I am notorious for NOT following this rule. I am trying though.
3) Avoid eating unnecessary sugar. It will bring mood swings, keep you up at night, make you feel good only temporarily, put on the holiday pounds. Instead, ask yourself “what am I craving?” Listen to what your intuition tells you. It might surprise you. It may have nothing to do with food. It may be craving self-care like a nap or drinking more water. It may be saying to slow down and breathe. You won’t know unless you ask.
4) Say no more often. Avoid the obligations. Ask yourself if it brings you joy. If it doesn’t, then saying no is ok. Keep your life more simple at this time of the year. Speeding things up and taking on more only makes you feel less joy. Look to see what the essence of the holidays brings for you and then declare it. Is it peace? Is it joy? Is it warmth and coziness? Whatever you’re craving, it will come to you easier when you declare it.
5) Remember to eat. Skipping meals because you have so much on your plate starts the train wreck and ends with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s. Or worse, knocking your immune system down and you get run down and begin to feel a cold coming on. Keep your water intake up, keep your food intake going and you may notice you are looking less for the afternoon pickup and smiling more.
Whatever you find that you are craving, be willing to ask yourself questions. Blindly running on empty is setting you up for a fall. This is a special time of year. Give yourself a hug, drink some tea and simplify your day.
“One simple act of kindness sheds a million blessings to all.”
The interdependent nature of all phenomena is a mystery. Especially when you see how one man spreads his gifts of giving to the simplest part of humanity, feeding not only physical nutrition, but mental nutrition as well. Humanity would grow leaps and bounds if we could all reach out this way. I am honored to know that this man is diligently working towards creating no separation here. So profound.
Today my family spent the day at a 4th of July parade spreading happiness, support and caring. Laura Lavigne, devoted to her Happiness Sprinkling project has made her way (or her cards) across the country on street corners letting people know that “Everything is ok”, “You are Enough”, “Sure you Can”, and dozen of other messages sprinkling happiness to the crowds. My son above, in the above photo purposely chose this sign. “Share Your Happy”…. What does sharing your happy look like to you? Is it an intimate moment with a loved one? A group of friends hanging out or spending time with your family.
We each have moments where we can choose to share our happy or we can stay hidden or isolated behind our computer/iPhones. Take time this weekend to share your joy, your happiness and see how “You are the Good News” in someone’s life today.
We ALL Matter. It’s true. You are no different. Yup, you matter….. Please share this on Facebook, Twitter and other Social Medias. It just may change someones day.
“It’s never too late to become who you were meant to be.”
Isn’t this what started it all? Isn’t this where I was heading, without even knowing it? Well, actually it was, “What is self-love?”. But then it became about “It’s never too late to become who you were meant to be.” Becoming authentic, doing what someone who loves themselves does, that is learning how to be yourself. In a world of “What do other people think?”, this is not the path of least resistance. In a world of idealism, a world of conforming, in a world of what others do and think and believe, sitting in the circle of “being yourself” feels like the lion is going to eat you up.
Fortunately, having asked myself “What would someone who loves themselves do?” for a year is one way to strengthen that inner demon of “What will other’s think.” In fact, asking that question set me up to actually do between 6,000-10,000 loving acts towards myself in one year. How many of you can think of 1 or 2 acts of loving things you did today, never mind over a year.
This question instills a habit, a very intense habit. And this is necessary because to change a habit, you must make changes that allow for the possibility of changes to be made. One can not be timid to look destiny in the eye. One must find strength and the only way to find strength is through taking action repetitively. Repetition is the only way we will make the changes necessary for “Real Change” to be formed in a short amount of time. If you want to learn a foreign language, then you must practice it. Self-love for so many of us, IS a foreign language. Therefore, practicing, is a must. And how does one do that?
By starting, and then following the path it takes you. Your path will look different from mine. Every individual on the planet will have a different path, but it will always lead us to the same place… Wholehearted living.
What is really amazing to me is that it really is never too late to become yourself. Even if it’s the last breath you take, if you take that breath knowing exactly who you are and how to be yourself….then you are home. You get the golden prize. To me that is a miracle to celebrate.
Enjoy my video. 10 min to capture a year doesn’t do it justice, but it gives the highlights and it definitely reveals what is coming next. So make sure you watch it through to the end. I don’t want you to miss out on what’s coming around the corner. June 1st is the day I am going live with it. Let’s cross fingers it’s ready. 🙂